What is a machine learning framework?
This article was originally published at Algorithimia’s website. The company was acquired by DataRobot in 2021. This article may not be entirely up-to-date or refer to products and offerings no longer in existence. Find out more about DataRobot MLOps here.
A machine learning framework is an interface that allows developers to build and deploy machine learning models faster and easier. A tool like this allows enterprises to scale their machine learning efforts securely while maintaining a healthy ML lifecycle.
Machine learning frameworks have become standard practice in recent years. They provide democratization in the development of ML algorithms while also speeding up the process. Enterprise-level organizations are largely realizing the need to launch machine learning frameworks in their own ML endeavors.
So, what is a machine learning framework?
A machine learning framework is an interface that allows developers to build and deploy machine learning models faster and easier. A tool like this allows enterprises to scale their machine learning efforts securely while maintaining a healthy ML lifecycle. Enterprises have the option to build their own custom machine learning framework.
Building or buying a machine learning framework
According to Gartner, 85 percent of all machine learning projects fail, and most organizations that are actively developing machine learning capabilities are struggling to get a return on investment. This is because infrastructural requirements, developer resources, time, and the costs of building a machine learning framework in-house are greater than what organizations expect.
Enterprises can minimize the time to value for their machine learning projects by purchasing an off-the-shelf framework that fits into their existing workflow. This allows the organization to gain competitive advantages from their ML projects sooner and therefore benefit from them longer.
When considering whether to build or buy a machine learning framework, it’s important to:
- Understand the costs and benefits of both options
- Figure out the technical resources you would need to maintain an ongoing machine learning lifecycle in both circumstances
- Be a champion of the transformational capabilities of enterprise machine learning at your organization
To dive deeper into building vs buying a machine learning framework, download our whitepaper, building versus buying an ML management platform.
Features of Algorithmia’s machine learning framework
Disclaimer: this article was originally published at Algorithimia’s website. The company was acquired by DataRobot in 2021. This article may not be entirely up-to-date or refer to products and offerings no longer in existence.
Algorithmia’s machine learning framework allows enterprises to deploy, manage, and scale their machine learning portfolio. Algorithmia is the fastest route to deployment, and makes it easy to securely govern machine learning operations with a healthy ML lifecycle.
With DataRobot, you can connect your data and pre-trained models, deploy and serve as APIs, manage your models and monitor performance, and secure your machine learning portfolio as it scales.
A flexible machine learning framework connects to all necessary data sources in one secure, central location for reusable, repeatable, and collaborative model management.
- Manage source code by pushing models into production directly from the code repository
- Control data access by running models close to connectors and data sources for optimal security
- Deploy models from wherever they are with seamless infrastructure management
Machine learning models only achieve value once they reach production. Efficient deployment capabilities reduce the time it takes your organization to get a return on your ML investment.
- Deploy in any language and any format with flexible tooling capabilities
- Serve models with a git push to a highly scalable API in seconds
- Version models automatically with a framework that compares and updates models while maintaining a dependable version for calls.
Manage MLOps using access controls and governance features that secure and audit the machine learning models you have in production.
- Split machine learning workflows into reusable, independent parts and pipeline them together with a microservices architecture
- Operate your ML portfolio from one, secure location to prevent work silos with a robust ML management system
- Protect your models with access control
- Usage reporting allows you to gain full visibility into server use, model consumption, and call details to control costs
A properly scaled machine learning lifecycle scales on demand, operates at peak performance, and continuously delivers value from one MLOps center.
- Serverless scaling allows you to scale models on demand without latency concerns, providing CPU and GPU support
- Reduce data security vulnerabilities by access controlling your model management system
- Govern models and test model performance for speed, accuracy, and drift
- Multi-cloud flexibility provides the options to deploy on Algorithmia, the cloud, or on-prem to keep models near data sources
The Next Generation of AI
DataRobot AI Platform is the next generation of AI. The unified platform is built for all data types, all users, and all environments to deliver critical business insights for every organization. DataRobot is trusted by global customers across industries and verticals, including a third of the Fortune 50.
We will contact you shortly
We’re almost there! These are the next steps:
- Look out for an email from DataRobot with a subject line: Your Subscription Confirmation.
- Click the confirmation link to approve your consent.
- Done! You have now opted to receive communications about DataRobot’s products and services.
Didn’t receive the email? Please make sure to check your spam or junk folders.
New DataRobot and Snowflake Integrations: Seamless Data Prep, Model Deployment, and MonitoringMarch 16, 2023· 5 min read
How the DataRobot AI Platform Is Delivering Value-Driven AIMarch 16, 2023· 4 min read
A New Era of Value-Driven AIMarch 16, 2023· 2 min read
Although still a relatively new field, the present global situation and changes have brought AI to the point where machine learning models really need to start showing their value. To achieve that, DataRobot provides a solution for organizations to build an MLOps foundation that allows data, development, and production teams to work together to successfully deploy and manage machine learning services…
The extraordinary benefits of AI in today's business climate are abundantly clear. But as more machine learning solutions are implemented in organizations, the need for a centralized MLOps platform becomes even more significant. However, scaling such a solution across all lines of business has its challenges, with the production gap and cost of additional resources being two of the most…
This post was originally part of the DataRobot Community. Visit now to browse discussions and ask questions about DataRobot, AI Cloud, data science, and more. MLOps governance provides your organization with a rights-management framework for your model development workflow and process. With this feature, specified users are designated to review and approve events related to your deployments. The types of…