DataRobot at R User Conference 2014: Highlights and Presentation Slides
We just wrapped up a busy week in Los Angeles at the R User Conference 2014. The four-day event was very well done, and the quality of attendees we met throughout the conference was outstanding. This is an event that will definitely be on our annual calendar!
DataRobot and R User Conference
Our own Xavier Conort spoke about Ten R Packages to Help Win Kaggle Competitions. In his session, Xavier talked about his journey from an actuary to a machine learning expert and how Kaggle competitions and R played a key role along the way. Xavier shared the top R packages he used to win Kaggle competitions, and tips for data scientists to build better predictive models.
Highlights of the Session
These are some lessons from competitions Xavier participated in:
- Machines can do a better job at capturing complexity in data than humans
- Don’t oversimplify and discard any data prematurely
- Feature selection can play a role in getting to the right model
- Parallel processing and big servers can make a huge difference
- Take advantage of high-cardinality categorical or text features
- Use your intuition to help the machine do its job better
- There are so many useful R tools out there and so much more to learn!
- You learn something new every competition!
View the entire presentation below:
“10 R packages to win Kaggle competitions” – The room is packed. #user2014 pic.twitter.com/IGLRN1pNIP
— Gabriela de Queiroz (@gdequeiroz) July 1, 2014
How many data scientists can you fit in a room? Great insights from a Kaggle guru Xavier Conort at #user2014 pic.twitter.com/4mCBdvUpSZ
— Molly Clancy (@mollyclancy) July 1, 2014
In addition to presenting, we also exhibited at the conference. We gave out DataRobot t-shirts and showed some attendees a sneak peek of the DataRobot platform. If you’re interested in learning more about DataRobot, request an invite to our private beta.
If you attended the conference, what did you find most interesting or insightful about the growing R community and conference this year?
We will contact you shortly
We’re almost there! These are the next steps:
- Look out for an email from DataRobot with a subject line: Your Subscription Confirmation.
- Click the confirmation link to approve your consent.
- Done! You have now opted to receive communications about DataRobot’s products and services.
Didn’t receive the email? Please make sure to check your spam or junk folders.
Belong @ DataRobot: AAPI Heritage Month with the ACTnow! CommunityMay 25, 2023· 3 min read
Deep Learning for Decision-Making Under UncertaintyMay 18, 2023· 5 min read
Getting Value Out of Generative AIMay 10, 2023· 3 min read
Discover insights on the specific conditions that make machine learning effective in certain financial applications, such as high-frequency trading. Read more.
In this article, we’ll first take a closer look at the concept of Real Estate Data Intelligence and the potential of AI to become a game changer in this niche.
In this blog post we’ll explore how Mindshare, a global media agency network, has leveraged data science tools to create a fast and reliable decision-making engine. Read more.