AI Can Help Retailers and Manufacturers Navigate Supply Chain Challenges
COVID-19 has wreaked havoc on global supply chains. Retailers, manufacturers, and pharmaceutical companies all have struggled to align production and stocking with rapid shifts in demand. The recent shipping traffic jam in the Suez Canal amplified those challenges and underscored the overall fragility of both global and local supply chains.
Now is the time to rethink supply chains, with more emphasis on flexibility and perhaps less focus on solely reducing costs. But that does not need to have an impact on a company’s bottom line. Using machine learning in conjunction with existing business intelligence solutions can give retailers and manufacturers a much more accurate and realistic insight into future demand, even in uncertain times.
Enterprises can benefit from AI-driven demand forecasting, new product forecasting, reduced out-of-stock items, returns forecasting, and much more. One global retailer reported that machine learning led to $400 million in annual savings and a 9.5 percent improvement in forecasting accuracy. Despite these kinds of returns, 96% of retailers say they have difficulties developing effective models, and 90% report trouble moving AI models into production.
DataRobot provides retail– and manufacturing-specific forecasting for an imperfect and unpredictable business landscape. For the supply chain, artificial intelligence powers predictive analytics, using machine learning models from the past to build models that can predict the future. AI drives accurate demand forecasting in the real world, and these accurate predictions, in turn, improve demand response times and decrease unnecessary overhead.
We build effective forecasting models with these five steps:
- A strong data foundation. We can separate signal from noise in your customer data, so that you know your data is giving you an accurate picture.
- Preparing data for modeling. Not all data is useful. We filter out bad, irrelevant, and biased data to correct the problems inaccurate data can cause.
- Create accurate models. We use a library of hundreds of advanced AI models, along with any other proprietary models you have, and put them to work in parallel to determine which is the best one to drive accurate forecasts.
- Updated forecasts. Forecasting models need to be closely watched to ensure they consider changes in data, such as a competitor opening a nearby store, changes in consumer habits, or swings in pricing.
- Connect forecasts to planning. With detailed AI-driven demand and sales forecasts, you can accurately create an efficient system for on-demand ordering and on-time delivery.
We realize that retailers and manufactures face enormous challenges and require best-in-class solutions. By deploying AI-driven demand forecasting, retailers and manufacturers gain an automated means to identify trends, adjust business practices, and drive revenue through more efficient sourcing and better product availability for customers.
To learn more, read our eBook on the AI-Powered Supply Chain. And be sure to visit DataRobot.com.
AI Evangelist, DataRobot
Kaplan is a leading figure in data science, sports analytics, and business leadership. High profile roles include creating the Chicago Cubs analytics department, President of the investigation into the fate of Holocaust hero Raoul Wallenberg, and President Emeritus of the worldwide Oracle User Group.
We will contact you shortly
We’re almost there! These are the next steps:
- Look out for an email from DataRobot with a subject line: Your Subscription Confirmation.
- Click the confirmation link to approve your consent.
- Done! You have now opted to receive communications about DataRobot’s products and services.
Didn’t receive the email? Please make sure to check your spam or junk folders.
How MLOps Enables Machine Learning Production at ScaleMarch 23, 2023· 4 min read
How the DataRobot AI Platform Is Delivering Value-Driven AIMarch 16, 2023· 4 min read
A New Era of Value-Driven AIMarch 16, 2023· 2 min read
Discover insights on the specific conditions that make machine learning effective in certain financial applications, such as high-frequency trading. Read more.
In this article, we’ll first take a closer look at the concept of Real Estate Data Intelligence and the potential of AI to become a game changer in this niche.
In this blog post we’ll explore how Mindshare, a global media agency network, has leveraged data science tools to create a fast and reliable decision-making engine. Read more.